Saturday, February 28, 2009

The land of the long white cloud

It must be the desperation of being just that little bit closer to 30, but I subjected myself to another futile flurry into job possibilities in NZ: hostel jobs mainly, as teaching jobs seem difficult to come by when I'm still in Oz and I can't consider moving over reliant on 'supply' when I have a daughter in tow.

I think I must have emailed every single hostel in the country outlining my explaining and trying not to sound too desperate :) Alas, this move turned out to be a BAD one, especially considering my current state of mind: I spent the next week deleting rejection after rejection from my Inbox...Nobody wants a 3 year old staying in their hostel.

Now for the rant: I realise wanting to bunk down with hordes of drunken, smelly 18 - 30 somethings with a preschooler is possibly a bit unusual, however, having managed a hostel myself, and having parents and grandparents who have been and still are in a similar industry, it is one of the few jobs that I perceive as 'do-able' with a toddler/preschooler in tow. If I had the money I'd buy my own bloody hostel and show them how it's done...but alas.

I had a lot of strange replies too - some would take the coward's way out and tell me they'd filled the position, then I would see it readvertised almost immediately on the BBH site! Others told me they couldn't spare an extra bed (although I'd specifically mentioned that daughter and I would share a bed!) and so many told me that their hostel was 'not family friendly' yet they had 'family friendly' written all over their website!!!! Understandable, but infuriating nonetheless. I really thought that amongst all of the hostels there might be one, just ONE who would give us a chance.

I also applied for a management position with YHA NZ, but rejection was waiting in the wings here as well. At least they allowed me the dignity of a reply...there is nothing more humiliating and annoying than putting hours...sometimes DAYS into a job application (and in some cases I've also done an interview!!) and then have no response from the company/school/government department. I think I've already ranted about the job in Tasmania, but if not, remind me later and I'll let you in on their incompetence!

No comments: